Monday, December 30, 2013
Sexual Assault on College Campuses
Sonya Chemaly (2013) offers her assessment of recent incidents and research on sexual assault on college campus in “5 ways sexual assault is really about entitlement.” The highlights:
1. Sexual assault occurs in setting where there is tolerance of discriminatory double standards.
2. Sexual assault is related to rates of other types of violence, for example, intimate partner violence and stalking.
3. White kids from higher-income families were more likely to sexually assault a peer than others.
4. Male athletes are about 3 % of the US college population, but commit 19% of sexual assaults and 37% of intimate partner violence.
5. Almost ¾ of parents with children under 18 have never discussed sexual assault or domestic violence with their children.
Chemaly, Sonya. 2013. “5 ways sexual assault is really about entitlement.” Salon. Retrieved October 24, 2013