Monday, March 5, 2012

I Felt Like a Boundary Setting Badass

Julie Aubry
2010 Core Program Graduate and IMPACT volunteer

A couple of years ago, I was walking back home alone from the grocery store and I felt someone's eyes on me. When I looked out of the corner of my eye, I could see a man on a bicycle was slowing down and following me. It was light outside and there were people around but this guy wouldn't stop tailing me. I have absolutely no patience for creeps, and I wanted this guy to know he needed to just move along. So, I set down my grocery bags, turned to face him, and prepared to bark orders for him to back away from me. That's when the man on the bike stopped and says, "Julie? Geez, that's the meanest look you've ever given me!" The man turned out to be friend and IMPACT instructor, Rob Babcock! Rob started complimenting me and listed off everything I did right: being aware of my surroundings, facing the "attacker," using body language for him to move away, preparing to yell, and setting up stance to defend myself.

When I first enrolled in the Core Program back in May 2010, I pictured that the course would teach me how to use defensive skills if an altercation were to take place, but I didn't realize how important it would be to use my voice and be loud, stand my ground, and use my stance to show my attacker that I will not be easy pickings. These boundary setting skills are so important and using them could possibly help in avoiding an altercation altogether.

Sure, I lucked out with Rob being the man on the bike that one time, but I've used boundary setting successfully before and since then. Having these skills makes me feel confident and helps me feel prepared to protect myself should I need to do so. Do you want to be a Boundary Setting Badass, too?





No comments:

Post a Comment