Monday, September 29, 2014

This is what I was put here to do

I joined IMPACT Chicago in 1990 or 1991 and am pretty certain that getting hit in the head a lot has nothing to do with not being able to remember which.  I attended a National Instructor Training in LA in the summer of 1992 and finished my certification as a suited instructor in the late fall of 1992.

In the past 22 years I have taught extensively in Chicago, and have done a lot of work in curriculum development as well.  I have traveled to San Francisco, Boston, DC, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Jerusalem (and some other places as well) teaching IMPACT courses.  I am also very much in demand as a suited instructor trainer, and spends much of my mat time nowadays traveling to other chapters either training new instructors or doing follow up training for experienced instructors.
I have many years of martial arts training, competitive fighting experience, and many years of experience doing security work.  

A martial arts student of mine that worked for IMPACT Chicago recruited me into IMPACT.  I already had some years’ experience as a professional self-defense instructor, but saw the value of the IMPACT Full Force self-defense approach and signed on immediately after seeing my first graduation. The moment I first saw IMPACT at work I knew that this is what I was put here to do. I’ve known it every moment that I’ve been on the mat since.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin where, in my day job, I work in management at the University of Wisconsin Division of Information Technology (my staff call me the nerd herder but I’d never call myself that). I am married to Kate Washabaugh, a veterinarian in Madison, and an IMPACT Chicago graduate.  We have two young children.

In my free time, I am an excellent cook and a mediocre guitar player, and play ice hockey every chance I can get.

Mark Nessel, IMPACT Chicago Suited Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment